Twilight exit
Police say a fight between parents led up to the deadly shooting at a Seattle nightspot Sunday. (Image via Twilight Exit Facebook)

Gunman and victim fought before Seattle nightclub killing

Police say a fight between parents led up to the deadly shooting at a Seattle nightspot Sunday.

Killed at the Twilight Exit, in Seattle's Central District, was James Anderson, 24. Deputy Police Chief Nick Metz says a few hours before the nightclub shooting, Anderson had a fight with his girlfriend and then left the home, just a few blocks from the club.

Listen: Witnesses, near victims share terrifying account of Twilight Exit shooting

"The female stayed behind and out of anger, she ended up trashing the house and then left the home and in leaving the home, left their nine-month old baby at the home by itself," said Metz.

Sometime later, police say Anderson showed up at Twilight Exit, shot a bouncer at the club and then shot his girlfriend, identified as a 24-year-old woman. Both gunshot victims remain hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Numerous calls went out to 911 and Metz says officers arrived within four minutes, entering the bar from the alley almost immediately, shouting "Seattle Police" multiple times.

Police say the first officer into the club was Anthony Ducre, who was fired upon by Anderson and returned multiple shots, killing Anderson. Anderson was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to Metz, Officer Ducre received an award for courage in 2012 from the Seattle Police Foundation for his actions during a confrontation with a man at Seattle University.

Police say recent shootings have prepared officers to respond to what they call an "active shooting scene" such as what happened at Twilight Exit.

"We've had active shooters here in our city before with Cafe Racer and our officers knew if they didn't get in there quickly that there could be more than one, two casualties," said Metz.

"Mr. Anderson has a history of several arrests including domestic violence, no felony convictions," said Metz. "It should be noted that Anderson was ineligible to possess a firearm."

Police say the gun Anderson used in the shooting was a 9mm Smith and Wesson, which did not belong to Anderson but was not stolen.

Police also revealed that there was an active no-contact order issued to either the woman or the man who was killed. Metz says the woman has been referred to state Child Protective Services for leaving her baby unattended at home.

Tim Haeck, KIRO Radio Reporter
Tim Haeck is a news reporter with KIRO Radio. While Tim is one of our go-to, no-nonsense reporters, he also has a sensationally dry sense of humor and it will surprise some to learn he is a weekend warrior.
Top Stories

  • New Look
    The Seattle Police Department unveils new uniforms, logo

  • 'It Was My Turn'
    K.J. Wright has signed a $27 million, four-year extension with the Seahawks

  • Holiday Map
    Find holiday events, Santa photo opportunities, and light displays
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.