Sacramento accelerates arena deal timeline in continued effort to keep Kingson March 6, 2013 @ 5:16 am (Updated: 9:36 am - 3/6/13 )
City manager John Shirey hopes to get the terms of a deal with investors Ron Burkle and Mark Mastrov before the Sacramento City Council on March 26, a week earlier than he promised last week.
He wants to give the NBA as much time as he can to consider their competing offer versus the plan to move to Seattle.
"This is a tight schedule to get everything done," Shirey told the city council last night. "I'm going to remain optimistic that we can get it done within the time we're given."
Shirey plans to begin negotiations with Mastrov and Burkle next week. The two are pitching a new arena in Sacramento's downtown, using up to $250 million in public dollars.
City council member Allen Warren believes the three will come up with a deal that the council can approve. "We're in the game," Warren said. "We've made a very valiant effort to keep the Kings in Sacramento and to build a new sports and entertainment facility here."
The NBA Board of Governor's meets April 18 to consider the future of the Kings.
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson hopes to pitch his city and this counter offer to the owners just before that.
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.