Seattle police step up patrols in wake of bombings at Boston Marathonon April 15, 2013 @ 2:25 pm (Updated: 7:21 pm - 4/15/13 )
New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and other major U.S. cities announced similar precautionary measures.
Seattle Police Chief John Diaz said the city has not received any threats in connection with Monday's attack, but he urged citizens to be vigilant and report suspicious activity to 911.
"Our thoughts are with the people of Boston, the athletes participating in the Boston Marathon and their families," the department said in a statement.
Assistant Chief Paul McDonagh, who commands the department's Special Operations Bureau, said officers will focus their attention on major infrastructure and gathering areas across the city.
"Some of things that we're doing you're going to see, some of them you're not going to see," he said.
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn also issued a statement Monday. He extended his condolences to victims of the attack and said the city will continue to monitor the situation.
So far, King County voters are rejecting higher car tab fees to save buses
Minimum Age Debate
There's a push to raise the age from 18 to 21 in order to legally buy tobacco
Time for Change
Shannon Drayer is expecting some changes after the Mariners' eighth straight loss
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.