Chemical leak prompts Seattle community center evacuationon May 7, 2013 @ 6:33 pm (Updated: 6:53 pm - 5/7/13 )
Leaking pool chemicals prompted the evacuation of Seattle's SW Community Center Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the SW Community Center at 2801 SW Thistle St after a a 300 gallon tank of sodium hypochlorite sprung a leak, according to spokesman Kyle Moore.
"We evacuated the pool, a southwest teen life center and also a neighborhood services center on that campus," Moore said.
A number of medics responded as a precaution, but no one was injured or reported getting sick.
Firefighters clad in plastic suits and respirators cleared the tank and cleaned the spill. The pool was to remain closed Tuesday night and reopen Wednesday.
Moore says the chemicals are extremely toxic and posed a risk of lung or skin damage if anyone came into contact with them.
Farewell, Erotic Bakery
The owner of Seattle's Erotic Bakery is retiring - leaving bachelorette parties in a bind
Rollover on I-5
A semi-truck crashed into the median on I-5 in South Seattle, snarling traffic for hours
Songs & Spectacle
Here are the big concerts coming to the Puget Sound this season
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.