brush bristle
The Center for Disease Control released these images of a subject with a grill brush bristle inside them. (Image courtesy CDC)

Barbecue brush bristle sends Seattle teen to hospital

We're barely into barbecue season, and already a local teen has been sent to the hospital after swallowing a wire bristle from a cleaning brush.

Tristan Beck, 16, knew something was wrong a few days after the family's weekend barbecue.

"I just remember being in school on Wednesday and just feeling like I was being stabbed in the stomach," he told KING 5 from his hospital bed. "I was falling asleep in class and just not feeling good."

A small wire bristle from a cleaning brush ended up in his food, and it eventually perforated his intestines. He's going to be OK, but his family is warning people to check their brushes and replace them often.

Last summer, a Tacoma man needed emergency surgery for the same problem.

The CDC has even put out a special warning for barbecuers to check for loose metal brush bristles.

Chris Sullivan, KIRO Radio Reporter
Chris loves the rush of covering breaking news and works hard to try to make sense of it all while telling stories about real people in extraordinary circumstances.
Top Stories

  • Prime-Time
    Will prime-time be a good time for the Seahawks once again?

  • Week in Photos
    Cheetahs, penguins and Santa make it in this week's photos
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.