Barbecue brush bristle sends Seattle teen to hospitalon May 8, 2013 @ 5:53 am (Updated: 6:33 am - 5/8/13 )
We're barely into barbecue season, and already a local teen has been sent to the hospital after swallowing a wire bristle from a cleaning brush.
Tristan Beck, 16, knew something was wrong a few days after the family's weekend barbecue.
"I just remember being in school on Wednesday and just feeling like I was being stabbed in the stomach," he told KING 5 from his hospital bed. "I was falling asleep in class and just not feeling good."
A small wire bristle from a cleaning brush ended up in his food, and it eventually perforated his intestines. He's going to be OK, but his family is warning people to check their brushes and replace them often.
Last summer, a Tacoma man needed emergency surgery for the same problem.
The CDC has even put out a special warning for barbecuers to check for loose metal brush bristles.
Warm Fall, Winter
Forecasters predict a warmer fall and winter than normal
What Was That?
Reports continue streaming in after a fireball streaked across our skies
Danny O'Neil takes a look at what the loss to the Chargers means for the Seahawks
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.