Officials: Human error caused Atlanta gas leak

Associated Press

ATLANTA (AP) - Carbon monoxide detectors will be placed in an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened after two workers failed to reopen a boiler valve.

Associate superintendent Steve Smith says Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools. But Atlanta Public Schools is planning to install them district-wide.

Meanwhile, administrators say it appears the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. More than 40 students and several adults at Finch Elementary School were treated at hospitals after Monday's leak.

Officials said at a news conference Thursday that two maintenance workers serviced the boiler identified as the leak source at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak. Officials say the leak occurred after they failed to reopen a valve after doing the work on Friday.


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories

  • Can't Miss Opportunity
    Danny O'Neil says this game is Seattle's best chance to gain ground against division leaders
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.