Lawyer: Navy sexual-assault case will move forwardFebruary 26, 2014 @ 9:40 am
WASHINGTON (AP) - A lawyer representing a former Naval Academy football player accused of sexual assault says the case against his client is going forward after a military judge rejected a request to dismiss it for lack of evidence.
Jason Ehrenberg is one of the attorneys representing 21-year-old Joshua Tate of Nashville, Tenn. He said Tuesday that the judge told lawyers on both sides during a conference call a day earlier that the case would continue.
The judge, Col. Daniel Daugherty, hasn't yet publicly released his decision.
The defense had argued that prosecutors don't have the evidence to prove the central theory of their case: that the woman Tate is accused of sexually assaulting was too drunk to consent to sexual activity.
Tate is scheduled for trial in March.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
What We Learned
Despite beating the 49ers, Danny O'Neil says there are still three questions
Find Christmas trees, Santa photos, and lights on the MyNorthwest Holiday Map
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.