Vt. man accused of Bosnia war crimes ordered heldJuly 29, 2013 @ 3:14 pm
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A Vermont man accused of committing war crimes in his native Bosnia 21 years ago and lying to U.S. immigration authorities about them has been ordered held pending trial.
The Burlington Free Press reports ( http://bfpne.ws/1bCRXBn) a judge made that order Monday in the case of Edin Sakoc (ED'-een SAH'-kohch), citing a high risk to flee. A defense lawyer had said he expected he'd be released.
Sakoc lives in Burlington, Vermont's biggest city. He denies the charges in a two-count indictment.
The 54-year-old Bosnian Muslim is accused of raping a Serbian woman, aiding in the killings of two elderly women she had been caring for and burning the house where they were staying. He could face 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 if convicted.
Information from: The Burlington Free Press, http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Apathy On Mercer
Jason Rantz says SDOT's unequal treatments of cars will end up severely hurting Seattle
Pot is legal, but online poker is still a felony; one Washington man is working to change that
10 of the best dressed Seattle Seahawks show off their stuff
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.