Suspect in Fort Hood shootings breaks silenceAugust 19, 2013 @ 2:55 pm
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - The soldier on trial for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood has broken his largely silent defense by briefly questioning a witness who saw the attack.
Maj. Nadal Hasan, who is representing himself, cross-examined Staff Sgt. Juan Alvarado on Monday.
Alvarado says he saw a gunfight between Hasan and Kimberly Munley, a Fort Hood police officer who responded to the shootings at the Texas military base.
Alvarado says Hasan tried to shoot Munley after she'd been shot and disarmed.
Hasan asked Alvarado: "I don't want to put words in your mouth, (but) are you saying that after it was clear that she was disarmed, I continued to fire at her?"
Alvarado said that was correct.
Prosecutors have called more than 80 witnesses. Hasan has only questioned three of them.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
So far, it's good news for car tab fees in King County, and bad news for bus riders
Minimum Age Debate
There's a push to raise the age to from 18 to 21 in order to legally buy tobacco
Time for Change, Already
Shannon Drayer is expecting some changes after the Mariners' eighth straight loss
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.