Ala. couple arrested in girl's detergent deathSeptember 19, 2013 @ 1:36 pm
MADISON, Ala. (AP) - Court records say the parents of an 18-month-old girl who died after eating dishwashing detergent may not have immediately helped the girl because they were heavily intoxicated.
Investigators have charged 31-year-old Kristopher Joseph Speigner and 29-year-old Joy Lynn Speigner with negligent homicide in the Sept. 30, 2012, death of their daughter, McKenzie.
Affidavits say the girl swallowed a dishwashing detergent pod and her parents didn't seek medical help for her until the next day because they had both used prescription drugs and drank alcohol.
The girl's father was arrested Monday and her stepmother surrendered to authorities Tuesday.
Jail records show the two have been released on $6,000 bond each. It's unclear if they have attorneys. A message left at a number for Kristopher Speigner was not immediately returned.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
This Week in Traffic
You've survived another week of some of the nation's worst traffic - see the photos
It's the first time Washington gun owners could lose their rights without a felony conviction
13 things to know about the Sounders, and their fans, as they kick off the season Saturday
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.