Evacuations lifted for Big Sur fire in CaliforniaDecember 24, 2013 @ 4:26 pm
BIG SUR, Calif. (AP) - All the roughly 100 residents forced to evacuate during a wildfire in central California's Big Sur region have now been allowed back into their homes, officials said Tuesday.
The evacuations and road closures were lifted Monday night, U.S. Forest Service spokesman Tyson Navarro confirmed, though two roadways will be open only to residents.
Earlier Tuesday, U.S. Forest Service spokesman Mike Rivera said 34 homes were destroyed in the fire, 12 more than originally estimated.
The updated figure was the result of a more aggressive assessment of the damaged area. One property had more homes than originally thought.
The unusual late fall fire burned more than 1.4 square miles in the Los Padres National Forest.
About 180 firefighters remained on the scene.
Officials were close to determining the cause but would likely not release it until after Christmas, the Forest Service said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
So Far, So Good
Drivers heed the warning; short backups on I-90 at construction zone
President Obama's fundraising visit is expected to snarl Tuesday's traffic
Keeping Their Edge
The Seahawks want to prove they haven't lost their edge
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.