Mom in Mass. missing boy case ruled competentJanuary 24, 2014 @ 4:54 pm
FITCHBURG, Mass. (AP) - The mother of a missing 5-year-old Massachusetts boy who is feared dead was found competent to stand trial Friday on charges including reckless endangerment of a child.
Elsa Oliver and her boyfriend, Alberto Sierra, have both been charged in connection with the disappearance of her son, Jeremiah. Both have pleaded not guilty.
Jeremiah has not been seen by relatives since September but police learned of the disappearance only last month.
The case led to the firing of three workers in the Leominster office of the state Department of Children and Families for not properly checking on the family.
The court hearing was marred by an angry outburst by one of Jeremiah's uncles, who had to be forcibly removed from the courtroom. Sandrino Oliver shouted at Elsa Oliver, "Where's my nephew?"
The Fitchburg woman's attorney, James Reardon Jr., told reporters outside court that he's not certain his 28-year-old client is able to communicate with him.
Reardon also said he was willing to consider allowing Jeremiah's father, Jose Oliver of New Britain, Conn., to meet his estranged wife to ask her what happened to their son, The Boston Globe reported.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
710 ESPN Seattle's Danny O'Neil says the Seahawks win Sunday adds hope for rest of season
Week In Photos
This week's heart-stopping photos from around the world
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.