Nixon orders withdrawal of Guard from FergusonAugust 21, 2014 @ 3:16 pm
FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) -- Gov. Jay Nixon says his decision to draw down the Missouri National Guard in Ferguson follows progress in stemming upheaval in the St. Louis suburb since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black 18-year-old.
Nixon tells KMOX-AM that "the last two nights have been really good" in the suburb that had been the center of nightly racial unrest since Michael Brown was killed Aug. 9.
The white officer who shot Brown, Darren Wilson, is on administrative leave and has not been charged.
Nixon announced what he called a systematic withdrawal of Guard officers on Thursday. He says they've effectively protected the city while other agencies worked to restore trust between law enforcement and residents.
Authorities have arrested at least 163 people in the protest area since Brown's death.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Rock Star Rages
A rock star lashed out on Twitter after a Seattle restaurant denied him entry
Don O'Neill says we shouldn't be giving standing ovations to a team that didn't make playoffs
Take a look at the records for biggest saltwater fish ever caught in Washington
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.