Oslo university rejects mass killer's applicationAugust 7, 2013 @ 1:42 am
OSLO, Norway (AP) - The University of Oslo says it has rejected convicted mass killer Anders Behring Breivik's application for admission to its political science program.
University rector Ole Petter Ottersen told The Associated Press in an email Wednesday that the 34-year-old right-wing extremist has been informed "that his qualifications do not suffice for admission to the bachelor program."
Breivik is serving a 21-year prison sentence, which can be extended when it expires, for killing 77 people in bomb and gun massacres two years ago.
His university application stirred a debate in Norway last week over whether someone convicted of such a horrific crime should even be considered for higher education.
Prison officials said they had no reason to deny him the right to study in his cell if admitted by a university.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
A big collection of equipment that would make James Bond envious is on display in Seattle
Find a good spot for your Sunday brunch
Week in Photos
Holy Week, white tiger's reflection, and Easter goes to the fishes make up this week's photos
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.