Frenchman kidnapped in Mali asks gov't for helpNovember 26, 2012 @ 8:11 am
NOUAKCHOTT, Mauritania (AP) - A French national who was kidnapped by an al-Qaida-linked extremist group in Mali appeared on a video published this weekend and made available on Monday, where he begs the French government to intervene on his behalf.
The victim, identified as 61-year-old Jules Berto Rodriguez Leal, was grabbed last week in southwestern Mali by MUJAO, a group controlling part of northern Mali.
While northern Mali has long been off-bounds to Westerners due to the kidnap threat, the area where Leal was taken in the region of Kayes is considered safe, indicating the extremists are extending their reach.
Leal said in the message broadcast on Saharamedias.Net, a Mauritanian portal, that he asks "the French government to satisfy the demands of MUJAO, which kidnapped me, as quickly as possible."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
James Gandolfini, the actor famous for "The Sopranos", has died suddenly in Italy
More to the Story
Liberace's ex-lover says the world will hear more of his story, and Michael Jackson's in there
A Skeptic's Doubts
An ESPN columnist doubts Russell Wilson will ever be elite
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.