Ex-Salvation Army director charged in toy theftNovember 26, 2012 @ 11:49 am
TORONTO (AP) - The former executive director of a Salvation Army facility has been charged in the alleged massive theft of thousands of toys and donations from the charity's Toronto warehouse.
Staff Insp. Tony Riviere said Monday David Rennie, 51, is charged with theft, possession of stolen goods and breach of trust and will appear in court on Jan. 4.
The Salvation Army announced the theft last week, saying up to 100,000 items worth about $2 million were allegedly stolen from the facility in Toronto's North End over nearly two years.
Salvation Army Spokesman John Murray says Rennie had been fired. Murray says the charity will work to ensure it never happens again.
Police found 146 wooden platforms stacked with toys, baby cribs, strollers and other items in a warehouse northwest of Toronto.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Investigators, engineers, and lawmakers scramble to fix I-5 after bridge collapses
It was "like a roller coaster where you're not attached to the tracks"
Washington has an unfortunate history of bridge disasters
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.