Nearly 200 staffers strike at Khmer Rouge tribunal

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) - Nearly 200 staffers at Cambodia's U.N.-backed Khmer Rouge tribunal have gone on strike to demand wages that are several months overdue, a court spokesman said Monday.

A majority of the court's Cambodian employees, including interpreters and translators essential to the court's functions, did not come into work Monday because their wages have not been paid since June, spokesman Neth Pheaktra said.

Budgetary shortfalls, along with the defendants' advanced age and poor health, have raised concerns the trial may grind to a halt before any verdict is reached.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called last week for more international donations to the tribunal, warning that its "very survival" is under threat.

A U.N. spokesman at the court, Lars Olsen, said the strike threatens to delay proceedings at the tribunal, which is tasked with seeking justice for atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge in the late 1970s. An estimated 1.7 million Cambodians died under the Khmer Rouge regime due to forced labor, starvation, medical neglect and execution.

"We are very concerned about the possible risk of disruption to the judicial process through the strike by national staff," Olsen said in an email Monday. "The U.N. is also concerned for the welfare of the national staff and their families."

The tribunal has met with resistance from the Cambodian government, where many top officials are former Khmer Rouge members. The Cambodian government is officially responsible for paying the salaries of the court's Cambodian employees, but has often failed to supply adequate funds, leaving international donors to pick up the slack.

"We call on the Royal Government immediately to meet its obligation to pay the national salaries so that the strike can be averted," Olsen said. "The U.N. is also working closely with the principal international donors to explore all possibilities for averting the crisis."

The Cambodian-run section of the court currently faces a $3 million shortfall for its operations, including wages, from June through the end of the year, Neth Pheaktra said.

He said the strike meant there was a "high risk" that the closing arguments for the current section of the trial, scheduled for mid-October, would be delayed.

The tribunal is currently trying two former Khmer Rouge leaders, former head of state Khieu Samphan, 82, and chief ideologue Nuon Chea, 87, for crimes against humanity, war crimes, genocide and other offenses. Leng Sary, another defendant, died in March during the trial.


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories

  • At the Finish Line
    The man who saved horse racing in Washington tells Dori Monson why he's stepping away

  • Week In Photos
    Stunning images from around the world this week
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.