Report: Moroccan in Italy convicted in attack plotMay 16, 2013 @ 9:54 am
MILAN (AP) - Italian media are reporting that a 22-year-old Moroccan man has been convicted and sentenced to five years and four months in jail for plotting a terror attack against a Milan synagogue.
The man was arrested in March 2012 after police noted that the suspect had used a Google maps application to case security at the synagogue.
Police have also said that he had visited sites explaining how to assemble explosives and had made references to holy war, or jihad, a term often used by Islamic extremists.
The man, who police said had been living in Italy since age 6, was given a fast-track trial which wrapped up Thursday in the city of Brescia about 100 kilometers (60 miles) east of Milan.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Twelve Seattle police officers will begin using new body-worn cameras next week
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.