Troops in east Congo forcibly disarm dozensAugust 3, 2013 @ 11:20 am
GOMA, Congo (AP) - A Congolese government official says a disarmament operation is under way in the country's east as part of the U.N. peacekeeping mission's imposition of a "security zone" in and around Goma.
The operation is aimed at ensuring only Congolese security forces are armed in the region, which has been threatened by rebels of the M23 movement.
Bahati Luhunga, an official in the town of Sake, some 27 km (17 miles) from Goma, said Saturday that government troops conducted a house-to-house search there.
They found 32 people with weapons and ammunition. He says other armed residents escaped because they had been tipped off by friends in the Congolese army.
The U.N.'s so-called security zone went into effect on Thursday, but it has not released total figures on people disarmed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Community In Shock
2 dead, 4 students struggling to survive after Marysville-Pilchuck High School shooting
Week In Photos
Great heights and breathtaking images from around the world this week
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.