Gas leak caused Guam resort explosion

HAGATNA, Guam (AP) - The Guam Fire Department say a September explosion at a resort that injured two people and led to the evacuation of hundreds of guests was an accident caused by leaking underground gas pipes.

Two people were treated at a hospital for minor injuries after the Sept. 26 blast at Hilton Guam Resort & Spa in the popular tourist area of Tumon Bay. About 650 guests were evacuated.

Fire Marshal Joey Manibusan says the pipes were used to supply liquefied propane gas to tiki torches in the hotel's Tree Bar and tropical lagoon area. Pacific Daily News reports ( the gas came into contact with electricity, which caused a combustion explosion.

Manibusan says the gas lines were extremely close to the pump room and many pipes were rusty and corroded.


Information from: Pacific Daily News:

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories

  • New Look
    The Seattle Police Department unveils new uniforms, logo

  • 'It Was My Turn'
    K.J. Wright has signed a $27 million, four-year extension with the Seahawks

  • Holiday Map
    Find holiday events, Santa photo opportunities, and light displays
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.