Sierra Leone suspends paper over al-Shabab reportOctober 13, 2013 @ 9:41 am
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) - Sierra Leone's media commission has suspended a newspaper for reporting that the Islamic extremist rebels of al-Shabab were planning to attack a main government building.
In a statement Sunday, the Media Commission said the newspaper, Watchman, would be suspended for one month over Friday's front-page report headlined "Al-Shabab to Attack Youyi Building." It said the report created "panic" among employees of ministries housed in the building.
Last week, Sierra Leone bolstered security at government buildings because of the threat posed by al-Shabab, which last month killed at least 67 people in an attack on a Kenyan mall that came as retaliation for Kenya sending troops into Somalia two years ago.
Sierra Leone deployed an 850-member battalion to the African Union mission in Somalia earlier this year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Seattle fans are outraged by a new commercial featuring 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
SDOT says human error is to blame for West Seattle Bridge de-icing crashes
The Holiday Map
Find Santa photos, tree farms, lights & seasonal events with our holiday map
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.