8th person dies from explosion at Mexico factoryNovember 12, 2013 @ 3:02 pm
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) - A Mexican hospital official says the death toll from an explosion last month at a candy factory near the U.S. border has risen to eight.
Government health system spokesman Rosendo Gaytan says a 30-year-old employee of the factory Dulces Blueberry in Ciudad Juarez died Tuesday at a hospital in Guadalajara, where he was transferred to be treated for third-degree burns.
The Oct. 24 blast on the second floor of the factory caused the floor to collapse, injuring people working below.
Chihuahua state prosecutors' spokesman Carlos Gonzalez says the cause of the blast is still not known.
The factory employs 300 people and produces gummy bears, jelly beans, peach rings and other sweets that are sent across the border to El Paso, Texas.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Can't Miss Opportunity
Danny O'Neil says this game is Seattle's best chance to gain ground against division leaders
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.