Israel extends detention of suspected al-Qaida menJanuary 26, 2014 @ 8:07 am
ASHKELON, Israel (AP) - An Israeli court has extended by two days the detention of two Palestinian men it suspects of planning to bomb the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv under instructions from al-Qaida.
Israel accuses Eyad Abu Sara and Rubin Abu Nigma of planning a suicide bombing at the embassy and a major convention center in Jerusalem. It says they received their instructions over the Internet through a handler in the Gaza Strip who had direct ties to al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahri.
A third suspect was arrested last week but did not appear in court Sunday with the two others.
Israeli security officials have long warned of a growing threat posed from al-Qaida-linked terrorists. But last week's announcement marked the first time Israel explicitly accused the group of being behind an attempted attack.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Obama Visits Oso
President Obama says the whole country is thinking of the Oso mudslide victims
Suing The Seahawks
A Seahawks fan sues for $50 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
Scientists working to save Earth from approaching asteroids
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.