14 die in Russia of suspected methanol poisoningMarch 16, 2014 @ 11:00 am (Updated: 11:11 am - 3/16/14 )
MOSCOW (AP) — Investigators in Russia say at least 14 people in a village in the Far East have died of apparent methanol poisoning after drinking counterfeit liquor.
Officials in the Krasnokamensk region said Sunday they believe the alcohol may have been imported from China, around hour's drive from the village. The federal Investigative Committee says a 49-year-old resident of the village, Krasny Velikan, has been detained on suspicion of selling the liquor.
Russia has for years battled in vain to combat a lucrative trade in counterfeit alcohol, much of which is now carried out online.
The official minimum price for a half-liter of vodka was raised earlier this month to 199 rubles ($5.40), a move that experts worry could lead to a spike in the consumption of moonshine.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Rock Star Rages
A rock star lashed out on Twitter after a Seattle restaurant denied him entry
Don O'Neill says we shouldn't be giving standing ovations to a team that didn't make playoffs
Take a look at the records for biggest saltwater fish ever caught in Washington
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.