Honduras official says 11 still trapped in mineJuly 3, 2014 @ 6:28 pm
See all photos
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) -- An official withdrew his report that eight miners had been rescued from a small, wildcat gold mine in southern Honduras, saying late Thursday that all 11 men were still trapped following a cave-in the previous day.
Rescue workers using picks and shovels cleared away rubble by hand trying to reach the miners.
Emergencies Commission director Moises Alvarado had said earlier Thursday that eight of the miners had been rescued and been taken to a hospital. He later said he was given incorrect information by a firefighter at the site.
"The miners are still underground and none of them has been rescued," Alvarado said.
More than 300 Red Cross volunteers, firefighters and people who live near the mine in the town of El Corpus were digging by hand in an effort to reach the miners.
Fire department spokesman Oscar Triminio said heavy machinery was not being used because the mine "is unstable and could further collapse."
The miners were trapped about 90 yards (80 meters) into the mine, Triminio said.
The mine partially collapsed shortly after 22 miners entered to search for gold on Wednesday, but half were able to get out on their own, he said.
Mayor Luis Rueda said there are more than 50 mines in the area, some of them as much as 650 feet (200 meters) underground.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Jason Rantz says I-594 cites a bad example for gun control
Healing in Oso
Oso fire chief remembers deadly mudslide on 6-month anniversary
The Seahawks have the NFL's single biggest difference maker
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.