Guinea clashes killed 12, government saysMay 27, 2013 @ 11:54 am
CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - A government spokesman says that at least 12 people were killed in clashes between opposition marchers and security forces in Guinea's capital.
Government spokesman Albert Camara said Monday that in addition to the 12 dead, 26 people were hospitalized with injuries from the violence last week.
Hospital workers said the death toll is actually higher, at 18, because some families took their dead from the morgue for immediate burial.
The clashes on Thursday and early Friday were the latest in the ongoing fight between the country's opposition and the ruling party over the details of a much-delayed parliamentary election.
Opposition spokesman Aboubacar Sylla on Sunday denounced the "unprecedented violence."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Seattle fans are outraged by a new commercial featuring 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
SDOT says human error is to blame for West Seattle Bridge de-icing crashes
The Holiday Map
Find Santa photos, tree farms, lights & seasonal events with our holiday map
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.