Oily rags start fire at Kent home

KENT, Wash. (AP) - The fire department says rags soaked in linseed oil self-combusted to start a fire early Friday morning in Kent.

The fire was reported by a neighbor, and six adults got out of the burning home safely.

Linseed oil is used in wood finishing. The drying oil can produce enough heat in rags to ignite.


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories

  • Council vs Columbus
    Seattle will consider a resolution to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples' Day

  • Whatever it Takes
    Ricardo Lockette takes playing time with the Seahawks over pride

  • Moving Up
    How Bellevue will handle students who transfer from 'failing' schools
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.