Mountlake Terrace teen sickened by BBQ bristle

SEATTLE (AP) - After nearly two weeks of cramping and vomiting, a Mountlake Terrace teenager finally learned what caused his illness: swallowing a bristle from a wire grill brush.

Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times ( http://is.gd/Hbw0Hr) he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.

His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.

Beck is expected to make a full recovery.

Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.

___

Information from: The Seattle Times, http://www.seattletimes.com


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories

  • Black Market
    Despite legalization, 'business is good' for Seattle's illegal pot dealers

  • Rush Job
    KIRO Radio's Jason Rantz learns the SDOT's right-turn ban on Dexter was rushed

  • Endangered
    Some of the most beautiful animals in the world are disappearing from Washington
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.