Electrical fire caused smoke in Edmonds hospital

EDMONDS, Wash. (AP) - An electrical problem in a sub-basement mechanical room caused the smoke Thursday night that drifted through Swedish Medical Center-Edmonds.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 says 13 patients were transferred to other hospitals during the incident, including one woman going into labor.

Fire District spokeswoman Leslie Hynes says no one was injured and the fire was controlled in 30 minutes.

Because of the possible danger, the fire went to three alarms and firefighters from three districts responded.

There were about 120 patients in the hospital at the time, but most were able to remain in their rooms.

The fire also knocked out power to parts of the hospital, but it was able to continue to operate on emergency generators.


(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Top Stories
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.