Additional financial aid for mudslide grantedMarch 28, 2014 @ 11:16 am (Updated: 11:29 am - 3/28/14 )
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- Gov. Jay Inslee's request for more federal assistance to help with recovery efforts following the deadly mudslide in Oso has been approved.
Viet Shelton, spokesman for Rep. Suzan DelBene, said the request was granted Friday morning. Inslee asked for an expansion of a federal emergency declaration the state received earlier this week.
Inslee issued the request Thursday for additional help that would come from an expanded declaration, including helping local and state government agencies recover a portion of the estimated $4.5 million expected to be spent on emergency response, protective measures and debris removal related to Saturday's mudslide. Military Department spokeswoman Karina Shagren said that debris removal costs were not included in the federal approval, but that state officials are still working on securing that additional money.
The declaration that was received Monday provided federal disaster teams, other personnel and equipment.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Concertgoers are crying foul after missing the Journey-Steve Miller show for a traffic jam
Seeking a Sequel
Danny O'Neil has 3 things things to watch for as the Seahawks start training camp
As crews battle multiple wildfires, we take a look back at the at fire prevention's spokesbear
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.