Man critcally injured in blast at Seattle motel

SEATTLE (AP) -- Authorities say a natural gas explosion at a North Seattle motel critically injured a man in his 40s.

The blast Monday blew the door off a room at the Klose-In Motel in the 9300 block of Aurora Avenue North.

The Seattle Fire Department reported natural gas as the cause of the fire and said damage was estimated at $55,000. The man was transported to the burn unit at Harborview Medical Center.

The Red Cross of Western Washington was helping find temporary housing for 41 people displaced by the explosion.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Top Stories

  • Joining the LOB
    It's never easy being the new guy, but Tharold Simon is already making his mark

  • Smartphone Safety
    Our phones entertain us, inform us and now might protect us

  • Pumpkin Assault
    Pumpkin-flavored items are coming to store shelves whether it's fall or not
ATTENTION COMMENTERS: We've changed our comments, but want to keep you in the conversation.
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus
Sign up for breaking news e-mail alerts from MyNorthwest.com
In the community
Do you know an exceptional citizen who has impacted and inspired others?
KIRO Radio and WSECU would like to recognize six oustanding citizens this year. Nominate them to be recognized and to receive a $2,000 charitable grant.