Highway through mudslide opens to 2-way trafficJune 20, 2014 @ 5:48 pm (Updated: 12:05 am - 6/21/14 )
OSO, Wash. (AP) -- A stretch of Washington state highway that was buried in the deadly March 22 Oso mudslide reopened Friday afternoon to two-way traffic.
State Transportation Department spokesman Bart Treece says contractor crews have spent the past week patching and repaving damaged sections of State Highway 530 to allow for safe travel in both directions. Since late May, traffic had been operating on a one-way basis, with a pilot car alternating directions of travel based on demand.
The speed limit in the area will remain 25 mph to keep construction workers safe.
Treece says work will continue through the summer to build a permanent new section of highway south of the temporarily repaired roadway.
Of the 43 people killed by the slide, a 44-year-old woman, Kris Regelbrugge, is still missing.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Quick and Profitable
Ron and Don say it's time to cut off Seattle's presidential ATM
Concertgoers are crying foul after missing the Journey-Steve Miller show for a traffic jam
Seeking a Sequel
Danny O'Neil has 3 things things to watch for as the Seahawks start training camp
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.