President Barack Obama's Hawaii vacation: Day 15January 4, 2014 @ 11:04 pm
KAILUA, Hawaii (AP) - How President Barack Obama spent Day 15 of his holiday vacation in Hawaii on Saturday:
- WEEKLY ADDRESS: Obama used his weekly radio and Internet address to urge Congress to reinstate job benefits for more than 1 million Americans. The president said failing to do so will cause the economy to slow.
A Senate proposal would extend the benefits for three months. Obama says he will sign it if it passes.
- HIKING: Obama and his wife went on a brief morning hike Saturday, visiting a popular trail near their Kailua vacation home that overlooks the ocean.
- GOLF: The president played one last round of golf at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, having hit the links frequently during his trip.
- DINNER: For their final dinner in Hawaii on this trip, the Obamas went to Buzz's Lanikai, a steakhouse and seafood restaurant across the street from Kailua Beach Park that has been a regular stop for the family on previous vacations.
- DEPARTURE WITHOUT MICHELLE: Obama and his daughters departed Honolulu on Saturday night to go back to Washington.
First lady Michelle Obama, however, is getting a few extra days of Hawaiian sun. She is staying behind to spend time with friends ahead of her upcoming 50th birthday party. The White House says the extra time in the islands is part of Mrs. Obama's birthday gift from the president.
The first lady turns 50 on Jan. 17.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
The man behind a staged child abduction apologizes for scaring young kids, parents
An army of volunteers is making sure mudslide searchers get to put on warm, dry clothes
Two airlines are battling for your business and you're the winner
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.