Munro declines invite to Nobel Prize ceremonyOctober 18, 2013 @ 5:31 am
STOCKHOLM (AP) - The Swedish Academy says Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro won't travel to Stockholm to collect her award because of poor health.
Academy secretary Peter Englund said in an email Friday that the 82-year-old Canadian writer had declined the invitation, and that it's not yet clear who will represent her at the Dec. 10 award ceremony.
The academy announced last week that Munro had won the $1.2 million prize for this year, and called her a "master of the contemporary short story."
Munro has published more than a dozen collections of short stories since the 1960s, often focusing on the lives of girls and women from the towns and farming communities in her home region of southwestern Ontario.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Have a Seat
Crystal Mountain says it'll auction off chairs destroyed in a massive avalanche
New radar data shows a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 changed course before disappearing
Seattle's most famous gardener gives you the green light
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.