Miami faces SEC charges over bondsJuly 19, 2013 @ 2:18 pm
MIAMI (AP) - The Securities and Exchange Commission is charging the city of Miami and its former budget director with securities fraud, according to a civil complaint filed Friday in federal court.
George S. Canellos, co-director of the SEC's Division of Enforcement, said in a news release that the city of Miami actively marketed bonds to investors while hiding the true reason for moving around approximately $37.5 million in city funds.
"The fact that a city official would enable these false and misleading disclosures to investors merely a few years after Miami had been reprimanded by the SEC for similar misconduct makes this repeat behavior all the more appalling and unacceptable," Canellos said.
An SEC investigation found that the city of Miami and former budget director Michael Boudreaux made materially false and misleading statements and omissions about certain transfers in three 2009 bond offerings totaling $153.5 million. Similar misleading information was reportedly included in the city's fiscal year 2007 and 2008 Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports. Those reports are distributed to broad segments of the investing public, including investors in previously issued city debt.
According to the SEC complaint, Boudreaux orchestrated the transfers from the city's capital improvement fund to its general fund in order to mask increasing deficits in the general fund. Investors and bond rating agencies regularly use the general fund as a key indicator of financial health.
Boudreaux's attorney, Michael Pizzi, said his client is being used as a scapegoat and plans to be exonerated.
"This is an outrageous abuse of power by the SEC," Pizzi said. "Mr. Boudreaux was an employee of the city who made recommendations on filling budget gaps. Mr. Boudreaux was not responsible for decisions made by the mayor, the city manager and the commissioners."
The SEC's action also charges the city of Miami with violating an SEC cease-and-desist order that was entered against the city in 2003 based on similar misconduct. This is the first time the SEC has alleged further wrongdoing by a municipality subject to an existing SEC cease-and-desist order.
A telephone message and email seeking comment from the city of Miami weren't immediately returned.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Warm Fall, Winter
Forecasters predict a warmer fall and winter than normal
What Was That?
Reports continue streaming in after a fireball streaked across our skies
Danny O'Neil takes a look at what the loss to the Chargers means for the Seahawks
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.