IKEA recalls lamp following death of childDecember 11, 2013 @ 1:46 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) - IKEA is recalling millions of children's lamps following the death of a child who choked on the lamp's cord. Another child was injured.
The "SMILA" series wall-mounted children's lamps were sold at IKEA from 1999 through May 2013 for $10 to $13. The recalled lamps are about 11 inches high and 11 inches wide and were sold in eight designs: A blue star, yellow moon, pink flower, white flower, red heart, green bug, blue seashell and orange seahorse.
There were 2.9 million of the recalled lamps sold in the U.S., the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday. About 1.1 million lamps sold in Canada are also being recalled by IKEA. Some 23 million of the lamps were sold worldwide.
Consumers should stop using the lamp and contact IKEA for a free repair kit to attach the cord to the wall. A 16-month-old child died after getting entangled in the lamp's cord and a 15-month-old child became entangled in the lamp's cord and nearly strangled. In both cases, which occurred in Europe, the infants pulled the lamp cord into their cribs.
To determine if their lamp was involved in the recall, consumers can find the model name printed on a label on the inside back of the lamp near the light bulb.
For more information: IKEA can be called at (888) 966-4532 or online at http://www.ikea-usa.com. Click on the "Recall" link at the top of the page.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
It's the first time Washington gun owners could lose their rights without a felony conviction
Pike Place Market unveils plans for a dramatic $65 million makeover
13 things to know about the Sounders, and their fans, as they kick off the season Saturday
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.