Natural gas is being blamed for an explosion that critically injured one man at a motel on Aurora Avenue North, the Seattle Fire Department reports.
The explosion happened just after 11:30 a.m. at the Klose-In Motel at 9309 Aurora Ave. N., according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
“We had one patient that was inside that room that suffered burns to their body,” said Moore.
Investigators have determined a natural gas explosion was the cause, but don’t know why it was limited to that one room.
A male in his 40’s was rushed to the Harborview Medical Center burn unit in critical condition.
Damage to the room is estimated at $50,000, with an additional $5,000 in damage to the contents.
The Red Cross is working to find temporary housing for 41 other motel guests displaced by the explosion.
The emergency response closed traffic on Aurora Ave at 93rd. But all lanes have since reopened.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.