CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - The U.S. Department of Energy stressed Sunday that no surface contamination has been found after airborne radiation was detected underground at a southeastern New Mexico site where the government stores low-grade nuclear waste.
The department says that tests were taken at several sites around the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant after a monitor found radiation on underground levels late Friday night.
No workers were underground and no injuries or damages have been reported.
A news release Sunday reflected information provided Saturday and said the "DOE emphasizes there is no danger to human health or the environment."
Officials say the source of the radiation is still being investigated, but they don't know when crews will go underground at the nation's only deep geologic waste repository.
An underground vehicle fire at the site earlier this month prompted an evacuation, but officials don't think the two events are related.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)