Updated Oct 6, 2013 - 3:16 pm
Jaguars rookie OT Luke Joeckel out for season
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Jacksonville rookie offensive tackle Luke Joeckel will miss the rest of the season because of a broken right ankle.
Joeckel was injured in the first quarter of a 34-20 loss to the Rams on Sunday. He was taken off the field on a cart.
Joeckel got his leg rolled up by Rams defensive tackle Kendall Langford at the end of a 1-yard carry by Maurice Jones-Drew. He was selected by the Jaguars with the second pick in this year's draft.
"I saw it happen and it's unfortunate," said quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who also left the game with an injury. "It wasn't pretty."
Jones-Drew said he was to blame.
"It's tough when you were the guy that probably hurt him, too, which was me," Jones-Drew said. "You never want to run up anyone's back like that. He was doing so well. He was coming along."
Earlier this week, Jacksonville traded veteran left tackle Eugene Monroe to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for multiple draft picks.
"You know what? Luke's a good player, but guys will step up," coach Gus Bradley said.
Gabbert strained his left hamstring in the third quarter. Playing in his hometown, he was 9 of 19 for 181 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions before leaving.
Jaguars tight end Allen Reisner left the game in the third quarter with a knee sprain.
Cameron Bradfield, who replaced Joeckel, has 14 career starts in three seasons since making the team as an undrafted rookie. He started 12 games last year.
"It's very devastating for him and for us as a team," receiver Justin Blackmon said. "That just gives somebody else the opportunity to come in, make plays and give them a chance to put something on film."
Austin Pasztor started at right tackle Sunday after starting the last three games at left guard in 2012.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk star treatment
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- Person of Interest: 49ers' Colin Kaepernick
- 'Russellmania' gets one Seahawk the star treatment
- Seahawks notebook: Percy Harvin held out of practice
- 49ers' Joe Looney takes on key offensive line role
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- More Seattle Mariners »