Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 10:18 am
Ex-Browns player pleads not guilty in NJ beating
PATERSON, N.J. (AP) - A former rookie linebacker for the Cleveland Browns has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges in New Jersey.
Ausar Walcott was arraigned Thursday in Paterson, N.J. He is accused of punching Derek Jones in the side of the head outside The Palace Gentlemen's Club in Passaic early Sunday.
A prosecutor says Jones is in a medically induced coma at a New York hospital, where he's listed in critical condition.
The 23-year-old Walcott is being represented by a public defender while he attempts to hire an attorney. He is being held on $500,000 bail. The case will now go to a grand jury.
Walcott, who played for the University of Virginia, was signed by the Browns on May 13 following a tryout. The team released him Wednesday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Christine Michael
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- More Seattle Seahawks »