Updated Sep 19, 2013 - 7:28 pm
AP source: Jets' Colon fined $34,125 by NFL
NEW YORK (AP) - Willie Colon's wallet might take a heavy hit from the NFL.
The New York Jets right guard was fined $34,125 by the league Thursday for his actions during a sideline skirmish at New England last week, according to a person familiar with the situation.
Colon said he will appeal the fine, but declined to say how much he was docked. "Too much," he said, later adding that it "was way more than I expected."
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the league had not announced the amount of the fine. The NFL usually announces fines for the previous week on Fridays.
Colon made contact with an official and threw a punch after Jets center Nick Mangold set off a shoving match along the Patriots sideline when he hit Aqib Talib low after Talib's interception sealed New England's 13-10 victory last Thursday night.
"I didn't really see the ref," Colon said. "I was looking past, looking at where Nick and them were at."
Several Patriots players and coach Bill Belichick took exception to Mangold's hit, and players on both sides began yelling at and shoving each other. Colon and Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson appeared to take swings at Patriots players and were ejected. Mangold was called for a personal foul penalty.
Colon was relieved he wasn't suspended, as some speculated he could be, and will be available Sunday against Buffalo.
"They got me for contact with an official and I guess I was throwing some jabs when I was in the crowd," Colon said. "I kind of got the double whammy, so to speak."
Ferguson was also fined for his role in the melee, but declined to reveal how much it would cost him. Mangold had "cautious optimism at the moment," saying he hadn't heard from the league as of late Thursday afternoon.
Talib said earlier this week that he didn't think Mangold's hit was dirty.
Online: AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test
- Mariners minor leaguer suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »