Updated Oct 1, 2013 - 1:00 pm
Ex-NFL QB Kosar refused to take Breathalyzer test
SOLON, Ohio (AP) - Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar blamed knee and ankle surgeries stemming from his professional career for not being able to perform a field sobriety test before he was arrested on drunken driving charges on Sunday.
The police report detailing the incident also shows Kosar refused to take a Breathalyzer test to measure his blood alcohol level.
Kosar was pulled over for speeding in suburban Cleveland early Sunday, and officers smelled a strong odor of alcohol. Kosar was arrested and his attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf Monday. Attorney George Simon did not immediately return a call seeking comment Tuesday.
Kosar told an officer he couldn't perform the standard one-leg stand or walk and turn tests as he had undergone several surgeries on his knees and ankles "because his line couldn't block."
The report states he was driving 74 mph on a 50-mph limit street. According to the report, Kosar handed the police officer who pulled him over two credit cards when he was asked to show his driver's license. Kosar had slurred speech and difficulty speaking.
"I asked Mr. Kosar if he could recite the alphabet starting at E and ending at W," the police officer stated on the report. "Mr. Kosar started E, F, G, P, L, M, O, Q and from there it trailed on with more letters that were not correct and ended at X."
A Dec. 9 pretrial hearing has been scheduled in Bedford Municipal Court.
The 49-year-old Kosar, who played with Cleveland, Dallas and Miami, has publicly talked about how head injuries sustained during his NFL career have affected his speech, making him sometimes slur his words. He has also been addicted to pain medications and had financial troubles.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Shannon Drayer
Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Cano
- Jim Moore
Hawks-49ers will come down to the best team
- Danny O'Neil
Hawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Report: Brandon Browner declines lesser suspension
- James Carpenter resumes starting role at left guard
- Seahawks' win would mean a changing of the guard
- Pete Carroll: Seahawks' Percy Harvin out against 49ers
- Brandon Browner sits out Thursday's practice
- Watch a live stream of 'The Huddle'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- Willie Bloomquist talks about his return and hints at more moves to come
- Mariners' Jack Zduriencik isn't tipping his hand
- Rick Rizzs and Toys for Kids make thousands of area children happy at Christmas
- More Seattle Mariners »