Updated Jan 23, 2014 - 10:05 am
AP source: Browns poised to hire Mike Pettine
CLEVELAND (AP) - The Browns are poised to make Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine their new coach, a person familiar with Cleveland's plans said.
Pettine was expected to visit the club for a third interview Thursday, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting during its search.
Unless there are unanticipated hang-ups, Pettine will become Cleveland's seventh full-time coach since 1999.
ESPN, citing multiple league sources, said the team is expected to offer Pettine the job.
The Browns have been looking for a coach since firing Rob Chudzinski on Dec. 29. Team officials flew to Mobile, Ala., this week to interview the 47-year-old Pettine, who spent one season with the Bills after four as defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.
Pettine is one of at least 10 known candidates to interview with the Browns, who dismissed Chudzinski hours after the season finale in Pittsburgh. The club had been expected to have a second interview with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who is preparing for the Super Bowl. But things have progressed to the point that the team is focused solely on Pettine.
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- Mariners promote Nick Franklin; move Morrison to DL
- Don't expect to see big changes in M's lineup soon
- M's notebook: Walker scratched from Tacoma start
- Mariners add run on replay, beat Rangers 7-1
- M's notebook: Why not move Ackley up in lineup?
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: No. 4, Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- Report: Seahawks' Lockette made 911 call
- More Seattle Seahawks »