Updated Jan 23, 2014 - 10:05 am
AP source: Browns poised to hire Mike Pettine
CLEVELAND (AP) - The Browns are poised to make Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine their new coach, a person familiar with Cleveland's plans said.
Pettine was expected to visit the club for a third interview Thursday, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting during its search.
Unless there are unanticipated hang-ups, Pettine will become Cleveland's seventh full-time coach since 1999.
ESPN, citing multiple league sources, said the team is expected to offer Pettine the job.
The Browns have been looking for a coach since firing Rob Chudzinski on Dec. 29. Team officials flew to Mobile, Ala., this week to interview the 47-year-old Pettine, who spent one season with the Bills after four as defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.
Pettine is one of at least 10 known candidates to interview with the Browns, who dismissed Chudzinski hours after the season finale in Pittsburgh. The club had been expected to have a second interview with Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who is preparing for the Super Bowl. But things have progressed to the point that the team is focused solely on Pettine.
AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- M's notebook: Updates on Iwakuma, Paxton and more
- Maurer to start for Mariners on Sunday
- More Seattle Mariners »
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- Seahawks' preseason dates, times announced
- Seahawks' Zach Miller glad to be back after pay cut
- Seahawks Russell Wilson most popular pro athlete in Washington state
- 3 thoughts on the Seahawks' trade for Terrelle Pryor
- Nevada man sues Seahawks, NFL for $50 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
- More Seattle Seahawks »