Updated Oct 16, 2012 - 6:32 am
Putin: Russia must make 2014 Sochi Olympics safe
MOSCOW (AP) - President Vladimir Putin has urged Russia's intelligence agencies, police and military to clamp down on terrorism to prevent violence at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi and other international events in Russia.
Insurgency has spread across Russia's North Caucasus following two disastrous separatist wars in the Muslim province of Chechnya and terrorist attacks now frequently hit neighboring Dagestan. Rights groups say high unemployment and rights abuses by officials push young men into joining the militants and suicide bombers.
Putin on Tuesday called it "a matter of pride" for Russian security to stamp out terrorism at home in the coming years.
Besides the 2014 Olympics, Russia is hosting the 2018 World Cup along with a handful of other international gatherings.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.
- Wyman, Mike and Moore
GM says Ackley, Harang staying put for now
- Bob and Groz
Does Jesus Montero have a future at first base?
- Brock Huard
Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Seahawks sign local product Justin Veltung
- Where Russell Wilson has shown the most growth
- Which Seahawk is most impacted by Percy Harvin?
- Taking issue with Marshawn Lynch's OTA absence
- Another PED ban doesn't mean Seahawks are cheaters
- Strong reviews for Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Seattle MF Evans added to US training camp roster
- Johnson scores twice as Sounders beat FC Dallas
- Neagle's two goals lifts Sounders over Earthquakes
- Traore lifts Sounders to 1-0 win over Sporting KC
- Martin lifts Sounders past Rapids 1-0
- Sounders sign former Virginia forward Will Bates
- More Sounders FC »