Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 1:35 pm
Wrestlers to protest Olympic ruling to drop sport
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Wrestlers from the world's top wrestling nations plan to lie on their mats Thursday in Tehran in a unique show of unity to protest a decision by the International Olympic Committee to drop wrestling from the 2020 games.
Csaba Hegedus, a senior official with the international wrestling federation, announced the decision at a meeting attended by officials from the world's top wrestling countries late Wednesday in Tehran.
Iran's Wrestling Federation says members of wrestling teams attending the World Cup Tournament in Iran also will observe a minute of silence to demonstrate their opposition to the decision.
The fight to keep wrestling in the Olympics has brought Iran and the U.S. into a rare alliance, a remarkable display of common cause despite political hostility between them.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »