Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 6:02 am
Putin indicates support for Olympic wrestling
MOSCOW (AP) - Dropping wrestling from the Olympics would not sit well with Vladimir Putin.
Putin was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Wednesday "the removal from the Olympic program of traditional forms of sports, which were its basis from the beginning and were in the program of the Olympic Games even in the time of ancient Greece ... is unjustified."
Putin says he hopes Russia will discuss the issue with the IOC.
Wrestling is one of Russia's strongest Olympic events, and sports officials have been upset by the IOC executive board's vote last month to drop the sport from the 2020 Games.
Wrestling's governing body will meet in Moscow on May 18 to elect a new president and make rules changes.
The final IOC decision on sports will be in September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Danny O'Neil
Should the Seahawks have let the 49ers score?
- The Pete Carroll Show
Surgery upcoming for Seahawks' K.J. Wright
- Shannon Drayer
M's should be busy at baseball's winter meetings
- What we learned from the Seahawks' loss to the 49ers
- Seahawks will wait and see with center Max Unger
- 49ers hand out cards telling fans to sit down
- Seahawks' K.J. Wright to have surgery on broken foot
- Seahawks burned again by 49ers' Frank Gore
- Seahawks' slugfest loss an example of what to expect
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners' statement from Zduriencik on Times article
- For Mariners, plenty of work to be done in Orlando
- Ten things you should know about Robinson Cano
- Pundits weigh in on Mariners' deal with Robinson Cano
- Reports: Mariners land Robinson Cano on 10-year deal
- What to make of Cano's meeting with Mariners
- More Seattle Mariners »