Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 6:02 am
Putin indicates support for Olympic wrestling
MOSCOW (AP) - Dropping wrestling from the Olympics would not sit well with Vladimir Putin.
Putin was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Wednesday "the removal from the Olympic program of traditional forms of sports, which were its basis from the beginning and were in the program of the Olympic Games even in the time of ancient Greece ... is unjustified."
Putin says he hopes Russia will discuss the issue with the IOC.
Wrestling is one of Russia's strongest Olympic events, and sports officials have been upset by the IOC executive board's vote last month to drop the sport from the 2020 Games.
Wrestling's governing body will meet in Moscow on May 18 to elect a new president and make rules changes.
The final IOC decision on sports will be in September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Zduriencik and McClendon on the Mariners struggle
- Changes coming after the Mariners' 8th straight loss?
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Richard Sherman talks race with Harvard students
- Seahawks to open vs. Packers, play 49ers on Thanksgiving
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson files for divorce
- Marcus Trufant to retire as a Seahawk
- Baldwin hoping for long-term deal with Seahawks
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- More Seattle Seahawks »