Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 6:02 am
Putin indicates support for Olympic wrestling
MOSCOW (AP) - Dropping wrestling from the Olympics would not sit well with Vladimir Putin.
Putin was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Wednesday "the removal from the Olympic program of traditional forms of sports, which were its basis from the beginning and were in the program of the Olympic Games even in the time of ancient Greece ... is unjustified."
Putin says he hopes Russia will discuss the issue with the IOC.
Wrestling is one of Russia's strongest Olympic events, and sports officials have been upset by the IOC executive board's vote last month to drop the sport from the 2020 Games.
Wrestling's governing body will meet in Moscow on May 18 to elect a new president and make rules changes.
The final IOC decision on sports will be in September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- Seahawks give second-round tender to Doug Baldwin
- Reports: Michael Bennett to test free agency
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Notebook: Felix, Seager remember first time they faced
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- John Stearns puts Mariners first and steps down
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- More Seattle Mariners »