Updated Mar 14, 2013 - 6:02 am
Putin indicates support for Olympic wrestling
MOSCOW (AP) - Dropping wrestling from the Olympics would not sit well with Vladimir Putin.
Putin was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Wednesday "the removal from the Olympic program of traditional forms of sports, which were its basis from the beginning and were in the program of the Olympic Games even in the time of ancient Greece ... is unjustified."
Putin says he hopes Russia will discuss the issue with the IOC.
Wrestling is one of Russia's strongest Olympic events, and sports officials have been upset by the IOC executive board's vote last month to drop the sport from the 2020 Games.
Wrestling's governing body will meet in Moscow on May 18 to elect a new president and make rules changes.
The final IOC decision on sports will be in September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Brock Huard
Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat Saints' blitz
- Shannon Drayer
M's notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- The Pete Carroll Show
K.J. Wright stood out in Seahawks' dominant win
- Chalk Talk: Wilson and Baldwin beat the Saints' blitz
- 49ers remind fans about 'home field advantage plan'
- 49ers prepare to stay composed in emotional game
- What we learned from Seahawks' win over Saints
- 12th Man flag to fly high above San Francisco Sunday
- The Pete Carroll Show: Praise for K.J. Wright
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: Robinson Cano talk heating up
- Seattle hires Wilson as minor league coach
- Notebook: Mariners close to signing Willie Bloomquist
- Howard Lincoln on the Mariners' search for a president
- What's next in the Mariners' search for a president?
- Mariners President, COO Chuck Armstrong to retire
- More Seattle Mariners »