Updated Feb 11, 2014 - 11:14 am
SOCHI SCENE: Just call him I-Pod
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - Iouri Podladtchikov has delivered the stunner of these Sochi Games, besting American snowboarding icon Shaun White in the halfpipe to win the gold medal.
The 25-year-old from Switzerland, who was born in Russia, figures to have his name all over the news in the coming days after beating the two-time defending Olympic champion. So you better learn how to say it.
It's pronounced YOU'-ree Pod-LAT'-she-kawv.
You know what? Come to think of it, probably just best to call him by his nickname: I-Pod.
_ By Jon Krawczynski _ Twitter http://twitter.com/APKrawczynski
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- McHugh strikes out 12 as Astros beat Seattle 5-2
- Dominguez homers to lead Astros over Mariners
- Paxton and Walker optimistic they will be cleared to throw this week
- M's coaches on changes needed if transfer rule stays
- Mariners notebook: Brad Miller gets his first day off
- M's notebook: Updates on Iwakuma, Paxton and more
- More Seattle Mariners »
- What do the Seahawks have planned for Pryor?
- Seahawks' preseason dates, times announced
- Seahawks' Zach Miller glad to be back after pay cut
- Seahawks Russell Wilson most popular pro athlete in Washington state
- 3 thoughts on the Seahawks' trade for Terrelle Pryor
- Nevada man sues Seahawks, NFL for $40 million over limiting playoff ticket sales
- More Seattle Seahawks »