Updated Feb 11, 2014 - 11:14 am
SOCHI SCENE: Just call him I-Pod
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - Iouri Podladtchikov has delivered the stunner of these Sochi Games, besting American snowboarding icon Shaun White in the halfpipe to win the gold medal.
The 25-year-old from Switzerland, who was born in Russia, figures to have his name all over the news in the coming days after beating the two-time defending Olympic champion. So you better learn how to say it.
It's pronounced YOU'-ree Pod-LAT'-she-kawv.
You know what? Come to think of it, probably just best to call him by his nickname: I-Pod.
_ By Jon Krawczynski _ Twitter http://twitter.com/APKrawczynski
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seattle 1B Choi banned 50 games for positive test
- Mariners minor leaguer suspended
- Mariners announcer needs signature Robinson Cano call
- Mariners notebook: A surprise in right field
- Mariners notebook: Walker shut down for two weeks
- M's Walker diagnosed with shoulder impingement
- More Seattle Mariners »
- Sidney Rice agrees to one-year deal with Seahawks
- Sidney Rice returns to the Seahawks with reported 1-year-deal
- Video: Seahawks stay mum on Lockette with TMZ paparazzi
- Seahawks with the most to gain: Byron Maxwell
- Seahawks should bring back Sidney Rice at a discount
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks keep busy in offseason California workouts
- More Seattle Seahawks »