Updated Feb 11, 2014 - 11:17 am
SOCHI SCENE: Chasing Chara
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - U.S. pairs champions Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir are from the Boston area. So naturally, they were eager to meet Bruins captain Zdeno Chara at the Sochi Olympics.
Chara is captain of the Slovakia team, and the figure skaters tracked him down to take a photo and chat with them.
Castelli stands 5-foot, so the 6-9 Chara, the NHL's tallest player, towered over her.
"He's pretty big," she said with a laugh Tuesday after the Americans finished ninth in the short program. "He's a really sweet guy, but really tall."
She should be used to tall. Shnapir is 6-4. He's also a big-time Bruins fan and has a shirt that has been signed "by pretty much all of the Bruins here and the coaches who are here."
"Getting Chara was huge for me," Shnapir added, sounding just like a kid meeting his idol.
_ By Barry Wilner _ Twitter http://twitter.com/wilner88
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Former Seahawks DE Red Bryant signs with Jaguars
- Seahawks give second-round tender to Doug Baldwin
- Reports: Michael Bennett to test free agency
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Paxton says September success gives him confidence
- Mariners notebook: Rodney ready for a strong start
- John Stearns puts Mariners first and steps down
- Walker plays catch, expects to throw again Friday
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- More Seattle Mariners »