Updated Jul 21, 2013 - 8:05 am
Serena Williams wins Swedish Open
BASTAD, Sweden (AP) - Serena Williams won her 53rd WTA title by beating Johanna Larsson 6-4, 6-1 in the final of the Swedish Open on Sunday.
The 24-year-old Swede broke to lead 3-1 in the first set before Williams fought back to 3-3. Larsson advanced to 4-3 before caving in to the American's strong serve and losing the next three games.
Williams dominated the second set, breaking Larsson's serve twice.
"It was really good to come here and win after a disappointing Wimbledon so hopefully this confidence will help me for the rest of the year," said Williams, who lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon to Sabine Lisicki.
Larsson said "at the crucial points I wasn't really present, which was a shame."
Williams also defeated 76th-ranked Larsson in their only previous match in the Fed Cup earlier this year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Please login below with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing MyNorthwest account holders will need to create a new Disqus account or use one of the social logins provided below. Thank you.
- Seahawks should pass on Brandon Browner
- Browner's reinstatement includes four-game ban
- Golden Tate states his case for a nice contract
- Report: Seahawks tender RFA Jeron Johnson
- Russell Wilson's Rangers jersey a top MLB seller
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson turned down 'Dancing with the Stars'
- More Seattle Seahawks »
- Mariners notebook: McClendon 'anxious' to see Walker
- Mariners notebook: Roster reduced to 55
- 'Cactus League Report' recap and podcast
- Mariners notebook: Taijuan Walker on his way back
- Mariners' outfield defense can be much better in 2014
- Mariners notebook: Seager just about ready for action
- More Seattle Mariners »